Monday 27 October 2014

DIY: Paint Swatch Erasable Calendar

I don't think I've really put a calendar to good use since my uncle sent me a Roald Dahl one when I was around 9, complete with sticker set (which I still have) and Quentin Blake illustrations. However, with my social life slowly becoming more hectic, all sorts of school related events, and a memory that still doesn't retain best friends' birthdays, I thought it was time to start using one again.



This calendar is a) free (for me, at least, it will cost a bit more if you don't have everything to hand, mainly the frame) b) reusable, c) incredibly easy to make, it took me less than half an hour and d) completely customizable, which is four big bonuses in my book.



You will need:

  • A frame (I used a 25x20cm/10"x8" one)
  • Paint swatches, available from most hardware/home decorating stores (I used a total of 9)
  • Glue
  • Scissors


Step one: Dismantle your frame


Step two: Arrange your paint swatches on the backing part of the frame. You want seven columns, for the seven days, space for the title of the month, and 5-6 rows of days. Experiment a bit and find a combination that suits you. 

Step three: Glue your swatches onto the backing care (I actually used a separate piece of card, just in case I messed up). Make sure they'll all be visible when put into the frame. You may need to cut them up to get them to fit how you want them to.

Step four: Add any permanent markings. I added the days at the top of the calendar. You could also decorate it, add borders etc. Note: The paint swatches have a kind of shiny finish, so I found using a Sharpie/permanent marker worked best for this bit, as other ink pens just rubbed off.



Step five: Reassemble the frame with your calendar inside where the photo would normally go. Your calendar is finished! All you have to do now is use a dry-wipe/board marker to add dates, events, and the month. Then wipe it off at the end of the month, and rewrite it for next month.




No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird