Friday 13 June 2014

Survival guide for starting a blog.

First, a little backstory. I have, over the course of about 4 years, run 20+ tumblr blogs, at least 5 of which were fairly successful. I have also started maybe 7 actual, proper, blogger blogs. Without fail, I have lost interest and given up as soon as I reopened a more passive website.
This one, though, I've been mulling over for weeks. I have a game plan. I have an idea. And I am going to stick with it.
(If I don't, please yell at me).

My survival guide for starting a blog, take 1:
  • Post.
  • No really, post.
  • More than once.
  • Many times, in fact.
  • Regularly.
  • As in no giving up.
  • Seriously though.
  • Post.
That list is more my personal guide, I think. This is the page I'm going to come back to when I have a blank post in front of me and my fingers refuse to tap the keys.
Now on the the actual helpful stuff, all I've learnt from my years on tumblr and my attempts elsewhere.

My actual survival guide for starting a blog (take 2):
  1. Pick a topic. Or a quirk. A running theme will tie together everything on your blog and stop it from being the kind of confusing mess where anyone who stumbles onto your page will have no idea what's going on or what they're supposed to be looking at, and therefore immediately stumble away again. Even if it's as simple as 'these are all things I like' or 'these are all things that are blue', have a theme.
  2. Don't get tied down by said topic/quirk/idea. It shouldn't be a chore to stick to the topic you chose, and if it is, I highly recommend you change it ASAP. My first and most popular (2k+ followers) tumblr has changed styles many, many times to fit me at the time, though it has always had some sort of underlying idea. 
  3. Post. Set yourself a schedule and stick to it. Plan and edit and just hit publish. The more you post, the easier it gets if you ask me, and the only way you're going to get into the swing of it is starting off and keeping it up
  4. Get a good theme (as in the layout, this time). Something unique (i.e. not the default theme), something memorable, something fitting to your blog. Spend a little time digging through the amazing number of resources online. Gaining a basic knowledge of CSS/HTML was one of the best decisions I've ever made (this is a great starting point). Add widgets or a scrolling title or a custom header. Don't be generic. It's not worth the safety.
  5. Quality, not quantity. Preferably a bit of quantity too, but quality is the important part. Make good posts. Make worthwhile observations, come up with good ideas, write something you would read, like, and want to come back for more of. 
  6. Enjoy it. I realised why all my past blogs have failed miserably (except the tumblr ones). I didn't like it. It wasn't fun. And therefore I had no motivation to keep it up. So post about something that interests you, something you won't get bored of a week from now. Find something that excites you, find a style you find easy and fun, and if you realise at some point that you've started dreading having to come online, change something. Change everything if need be, but in my eyes, this is the most important point in this list - if you don't care, no one else will. Above all, blog for yourself (this is my motto for this blog, by the way). Don't do it for the fame/glory/advertising money because none of that is at all guaranteed. Do it because you want to, and the rest will come.
I think that's it. Obviously, there are other things like advertising, not being offensive and encouraging people. But those are the big ones, I think, and they're the ones I'm sticking with.

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird